Tools used for designing this site
This site was designed working on different platforms (Linux, Solaris, Windows), therefore,
cross-platform tools were preferred.
for interactive pages rather than CGI scripts because we might decide to publish a more complete version
of this site on CD Roms. All scripts were developed from scratch for this site.
- The Gimp: cross-platform graphic editor used for treatment of photographs
- Photoshop elements: graphic editor mostly used for cliparts.
- Perl: programming language used for automatic generation of the pages and slide shows
of the "illustrated taxonomic parts"
(unfortunately writting plain text for descriptions and taking photographs was not automatic).
- PerlMagick: Perl interface to
ImageMagick for batch treatment of photographs
(cropping, scale bars, thumbnails).
- Xenu: for checking links.
- Web Publisher: for files upload to the web site.